The equality act protects people against discrimination in the work place. Before this act came into place there were legislations in place; Sex Discrimination, Race Relations, Disability Discrimination
- The basic framework of protection against direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation in services and public functions, premi, work, education, associations and transport
- Changing the definition of gender reassignment, by removing the requirement for medical supervision
- Providing protection for people discriminated against because they are perceived to have, or are associated with someone who has, a protected characteristic.
- Clearer protection for breastfeeding mothers
- Applying a uniform definition of indirect discrimination to all protected characteristics